Posted by Jonathan Greechan on 2011-06-24
At our 7th Founder Showcase on Wednesday in San Francisco, Mark Suster, Partner of GRP Partners and Writer of Both Sides of the Table, gave a great Keynote Speech titled "Getting Funded in a Frothy Market."
In the talk he goes on record saying that, "Duh, we're in a bubble," and that entrepreneurs need to get funding now so they can survive the cycle. In normal funding cycles, it can take 3-5 months to raise capital - but in this cycle "it seems like that's the number of days it takes." And, "When the hor dourve tray is passed, take two, and put a third in your pocket... You don't know when it will be back around." He goes on to describe the best methods to raise capital in this "frothy" market, because, "When the party ends, everybody goes home. But that's the most awarding time to be an entrepreneur - provided that you have money."
Some other notable quotes;
- "Nobody at the party likes the sober guy telling everybody how stupid they're being... I don't want to tell you that the party is going to end, but it is."
- "We're in a bubble, and you can quote me on that."
- "The best thing that's happened in our industry is the emergence of micro-VC's, or seed-stage funds. This the best source for most early stage companies."
- "There is no such thing as a "Super Angel." That is marketing BS. You're an angel is if you're investing your own money. You're a VC if you're investing other people's money. VC's have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize value for their investors. As an angel you have a right to have passion projects."
- "It is a myth that you are going to raise $500k and build a billion dollar company. I'm not saying it can't happen, but you can also win the lottery."
- "In the era of social networks, if you can't figure out how to get access to a VC, hang up your cleats now. You don't pass the IQ test."
- "VC's want the 4 Ms: Management, Market, Money (we want to own enough of your company to make a difference), and Momentum."
- "The decreasing number of VC's is a ticking time bomb... or a better analogy: a brick wall."
- "Go get yourself funded... In the last 3 cycles the companies that didn't raise money were not the ones still around to tell the story."
You can watch the full video at the links below:
The Founder Showcase is hosted by the Founder Institute, which is accepting applications to the Silicon Valley program until next Wednesday, June 22nd. Click here to apply.PRIVATE: Members Only