Posted by Jonathan Greechan on 2011-01-13
We're happy to announce that George Zachary, General Partner of Charles River Ventures, will be speaking and judging pitches at the next Founder Showcase on February 1st in Mountain View, CA. George is one of Silicon Valley's brightest investors, having led early investments in Twitter, Yammer, Scribd, Shutterfly, and more.
George recently did an interview on Daniel Odio’s blog (recommended, by the way), describing his journey as a young entrepreneur “living on uncooked pasta” and “pulling eviction notices off our door before doing demos,” to his new focus on seed investments and his thoughts on what lies ahead. You can watch the full video below, but here are some interesting nuggets;
- “Investors are not going to make a company. A lot of that is just marketing material. But investors can screw up a company.”
- “There are a lot of new angel investors, and they’re saying things that are very disturbing. They’re saying things that some venture investors said in 2000. Things like ‘someone will buy it – how will I lose money?’”
- “Probably 80% of all angel funded companies this year will go to zero in value (in 12-24 months) – they will return less than the amount of capital invested.”
- “If you want to be a successful angel investor, there are two real strategies. Go after high profile companies and only work on 2, 3, or 4 investments – or take an index fund strategy where you make 10-30 investments a year.”
- “Only 30 out of the 300 active venture firms have profitable returns… Eight of 4,000 venture backed companies a year product over 80% of all the return. If you’re not in with one of those eight, you’re not likely to have a good fund.”
- “AngelList could be building what becomes the next NASDAQ.”
The Founder Showcase is TheFunded's quarterly startup pitch and networking event, and once again we are expecting a packed house of over 300 investors, founders, and members of the press. The event is designed to democratize access to Silicon Valley, so tickets are affordable, and the Pitch Competition is free. TheFunded readers get 15% off using the discount code 'TF_members'. Register at the link below today - the last four events have sold out, and just a little more than 100 tickets remain.
Right now we have over 50 startups vying for a spot on stage. Take a moment to review their pitches, and vote for your favorites at the link below. Your votes can help a bootstrapping startup get invaluable exposure to investors and the press in Silicon Valley.
We are also giving away one free exhibit table at the event with two tickets ($350 value) to someone who helps us spread the word. Just Tweet a message with the hashtag #foundershowcase and the URL http://bit.ly/9OlVo8, and, on Friday, January 28th, we will randomly select one winner, announcing the person on @thefunded account. A sample message is below.
- #FounderShowcase coming up on Feb. 1 with @georgezachary. Silicon Valley's Leading Pitch and Networking Event. http://bit.ly/9OlVo8
We hope you'll join us for another great event on February 1st.