Posted by Anonymous on 2015-05-01
Fund: ZINO Society
Posted by SallySueVoter on 2015-04-29
We have investigated Zino Society since going out for funding at the end of last year. Several of the few fellow Puget Sound Washington Angel groups suggested we do so. Our experiences turned unfavorable. The facts follow:
* Companies that have 'won' awards with Zino have not received funding from individual investors, the Zino Fund nor even a pipeline of potential investment or advisor contacts; (Personally validated with 3 hence our company will not be presenting.)
- However Zino claims they are the third largest group by awards to companies in the area;
* Screening standards and 'coaching' are selective and disproportionate; one company may present to a board and others may only receive some slight feedback;
* Not many if any women-owned or run companies present nor are they treated equally;
* Other Angel group participants, coaches and members have openly advised to stay away from 'Cathi's wine club' as they have a history of collecting monies without further investment opportunities presented;
* Panel/Board member judges are also pay-to-play for their 'expertise' particularly attorneys and 'sales-system' speakers;
* The group is unorganized; last minute phone calls to schedule 'coaching' and practice to pitch just a few days before monthly events. Moving/migrating dates and topics to total re-works are common for the entire event within just a few days. Long-planned activities are shelved; not conducive for companies who are engaged in serious development and fundraising;
* The 'COO' Kenny Byrne is a well-known self-promoter 'BigManOnCampus' who has been witnessed drinking to excess boisterously interrupting, holding court and causing general problems;
- LOOKOUT for this character as he makes the rounds scouting for companies/victims in the Start-up communities along with Lee Reeves who is a nice guy but has neither operated a lemonade stand;
* Disparate 'qualifications' to present along with arbitrary 'turn downs' when serious questions are asked to the organization particularly to Kenny in general who can 'turn' particularly on booze.
Generally, if you want to pay to attend a party and 'watch the show' maybe acquiring a few decent contacts, sure. Otherwise, wise start-ups will move on. Be concerned in general about any group that charges more than a small fee to pitch.
Fortunately, we completed our due diligence and decided unanimously not to move forward.
Do your homework wherever you choose to present!
SSSVPRIVATE: Members Only
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-04-28
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-04-28
Fund: GrandBanks Capital
Posted by ja.macdonald on 2015-04-27
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-04-20
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-04-20
Posted by donAdeo on 2015-04-15
This Sunday, April 19th is the Final Application Deadline for the Spring 2015 Founder Lab.
The Founder Lab helps top seed-stage startups prepare for funding through an intensive, 10 day program in Silicon Valley. Participating founders will work non-stop with world-renowned entrepreneurs and investors, and leave the program with a fully refined pitch-deck, a plan to grow their KPIs and product, access to a global network of founders and investors, and a tactical strategy to raise funding.
As a bonus, the program culminates at the 16th Founder Showcase, where they can demo their product to more than 400 investors and network with industry professionals.
If you are interested, apply and learn more at http://founderlab.com.PRIVATE: Members Only
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-04-03
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-04-02
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-28
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-28
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-27
Wow, where to start? Bob Savage was the only rational guy in this place until he got forced out by Ian the Terrible.
Their M.O. is to provide a terms sheet quickly, and then change the terms after you've gone down the road with them a bit and have turned down other sources. They're used to being virtually the only game in town, and getting away with poor treatment of entrepreneurs.
Don't waste your timePRIVATE: Members Only
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-23
Posted by donAdeo on 2015-03-17
The Founder Institute is the world's largest entrepreneur training and startup startup launch program, with a portfolio of over 1400 Graduate companies from across 85+ cities and six continents.
This week, the Founder Institute will host its first ever Global Virtual Demo Day to showcase some of the program's top Graduates to an international audience of investors and entrepreneurs, live and online.
This Global Virtual Demo Day will take place on Thursday, March 19th at 6:00pm PT (see local time here), and it is open for anyone to attend.
See Global Startups Solving Global Problems
During the live Global Virtual Demo Day, you can see pitches from top Founder Institute Graduates from four different countries, and three different continents. All presenting companies have already raised a small amount of funding or generated traction, and each is tackling a large, global issue with a huge market; such as satellite delivery, personal health, online security, online journalism, the sharing economy, corporate healthcare, and more. Presenting companies include;
1. Nexercise (http://nexercise.com) is a mobile platform for delivering addictive corporate wellness challenges. $1M+ est. revenue in 2015. $1.3M seed funding, TechStars alum, and DC Founder Institute Graduate.
2. Peerby (http://peerby.com) is neighborhood sharing-economy app, with traction in Europe and an insurance-based revenue model. $2.5M funding, TechStars alum, and Amsterdam Founder Institute Graduate.
3. Tapgenes (http://tapgenes.com) is a family-health service for tracking and understanding your family genealogy health tree. Co-founded by 23andme alum, Blueprint Health alum and Singapore Founder Institute Graduate.
4. ConnectX (http://connectx.com) is launching satellites with storage capacity with the highest level of security. It is the ultimate in high value data storage. Los Angeles Founder Institute Graduate.
5. Logrr (http://logrr.com) is an Identity as a Service platform for enterprises that connects employees to their cloud business applications without using passwords. Montreal Founder Institute Graduate.
Fund: VI Partners AG
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-14
I have seen amazingly unfavorable liquidation preferences from these guys! Would definitely qualify for Royal Vulture Capital terms.PRIVATE: Members Only
Fund: Jump Capital
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-13
They will swindle you during your dealings with them. Very tough on negotiations, and very founder unfriendly. You will waste time on your financing with them if you proceed to discuss your A or B round with them.PRIVATE: Members Only
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-12
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-07
Posted by MaxTheSnake on 2015-03-07
I have pitched many VC firms, and Globespan stands out for taking the time really understand the market, the pain points of the customers, the sales cycles and the positioning and differentiation in the product. They are deeply analytical and they are a pleasure to work with.PRIVATE: Members Only
Fund: Rincon Venture Partners
Posted by craigairanoza on 2015-03-04
John Greathouse and Jim Andelman of Rincon Ventures have been extraordinary investors for my company! The vetting and diligence period was quick, negotiations on terms were equally fair and quick. But what has been most impressive from Rincon are the intangibles they have brought to my organization. The introductions they have made to job candidates / customer prospects / other investors have yielded great wins for us. And they are always there for me to discuss strategy and operational questions (without the guilt trip if i happen to not follow their advice). I meet with them once a week, and the conversation always begins with "This hour is for you. How can we help you." I can't say enough about these guys, and I highly recommend them for early/seed/series A.PRIVATE: Members Only (198 Characters)
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-04
Posted by Anonymous on 2015-03-02
Posted by donAdeo on 2015-03-02
Hosted by TheFunded.com and the Founder Institute, the Founder Showcase is Silicon Valley’s leading international seed-stage startup event, gathering global technology founders and investors to hear from top experts, and help launch new companies to greatness.
The 16th edition of the Founder Showcase is scheduled for Tuesday, May 12th at the Microsoft Campus in Mountain View.
As the Founder Institute's network has grown, we are now expecting this to be the most international startup event in Silicon Valley, with top founders, investors, and press from six continents in attendance.
This event will sell out, and tickets are fully-transferable - so what are you waiting for?
If you've never been to a Founder Showcase, here is how it works;
For starters, we get the top figures in Silicon Valley to discuss pressing topics in startups and venture capital. In our 15-event history, we've been truly honored by some of the names who have graced our stage - including Elon Musk, David Sacks, Phil Libin, Keith Rabois, Chris Dixon, Mark Suster, Kevin Rose, and Naval Ravikant, just to name a few. You can check out some awesome videos from past events here.
Second, we have a pitch competition completely geared towards seed-stage companies. How is this different from other pitch competitions? Well, most other events feature companies raising their Series-A, but we go one step earlier, as our presenters are all less than 2 years old and have raised less than $250,000 in funding. In other words, we give you the chance to see some of the most interesting companies of tomorrow before anyone else. Our alumni have gone on to raise over $150 million in funding, and include companies like Udemy, Relay Rides, Thumbtack, Realty Mogul, Kaggle, and many more.
Finally, we have awesome networking with over 400 startup founders, investors and press from all over the world, and an energy brought by our emcee Adeo Ressi that no other event can match.
This all gets mixed into one action packed afternoon and evening, so you can go get back to work building great companies.
We hope you will join us on May 12th!